Thursday 14 April 2011

What is Minecraft? Re: Pleasant Productions Blog post from Dave J

Thanks to Dave from Pleasant Productions Blog for this post 

I suppose for the sake of the unenlightened I should explain what Minecraft (i.e. the main focus of my blog) is.The following is from the wikipedia page which I think does a good enough job in explaining, as well as a video.

Minecraft is a sandbox building[1][2] indie video game written in Java originally by creator Markus "Notch" Persson and now by his company, Mojang, formed from the proceeds of the game. The game is focused on creativity and building, allowing players to build constructions out of textured cubes in a 3D world. The game has two variants – free Classic and paid Beta – where Classic is focused entirely on construction with unlimited material supply, while Beta requires players to acquire resources themselves, and contains mobs, player health, and additional features and items. The gameplay is inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Keeper, and Infiniminer.[3][4]

The game is currently in development and Beta is the only continuously updated version of the game. Minecraft[5][6] less than a month after reaching Beta. was developed for about a week before its public release on May 17, 2009, on the TIGSource forums, where it gained a considerable level of popularity. It has been continually updated and patched since then, and while it was still in alpha release, it garnered several hundred thousand sales and received critical notice and acclaim from many reviewers. It passed a million units sold on January 12, 2011,



 Basically I started playing as a referral from a friend and have been ever since. I think some of the best multiplayer fun you can have is playing together and making a community in mutliplayer. I think the most life changing thing about this game is that it was part of the reason I've stopped playing World of Warcraft which I assume everyone knows what is, also the fact that after three and a half years of playing things do get a bit stale. I've been focusing at the moment on rebuilding in singleplayer creations i've lost in multiplayer to server map resets and the like, but I do feel like going back to multiplayer sometime again.

To all those who's first impression of Minecraft is that "the graphics look terrible" believe me they are like that for a reason and all I ask is to try the game to see for yourself. I won't lie it's true that this can can be very addictive but only if you let it get like that, if you maintain a job and a social life then your not addicted, after all I was able to stop playing WoW all of a sudden after playing it for so long.

So thats a brief overview, I encourage everyone to at least try the game and purchase it if they do like it after all it's going cheap while still in beta at $20 and thats all u need to pay. The only thing that worries me is that once Minecraft becomes a full release we'll all be sick of it.

1 comment: